The Tweens News | English
You might need to use tools that require adult supervision, such as glue gun and scissors. If so, these can be replaced by textile glue and safety scissors. Make sure you ask your parents some help.
We all love to give butterfly kisses (a flutter of eyelashes against a cheek). This cute and easy butterfly-inspired card is a great way to send a Valentine kiss to a grandparent or caregiver.
What you’ll need:
- White cardstock cut to 5 ½” x 8 1/2”
- Scraps of patterned pink paper
- Scrap of patterned brown paper
- Pink cardstock
- Black or brown fine-tip marker
- Adhesive such as double-sided sticky tape, glue stick, liquid glue or mini glue dots
How to make it:
- Fold white cardstock in half.
- Use your scissors to freehand cut two teardrop-shaped pieces, about 2 inches long, from the pink patterned paper. These are the top wings of the butterfly.
- Use your scissors to freehand cut two more teardrop-shaped pieces, about 1.5 inches long, from the pink patterned paper. These are the bottom wings of the butterfly.
- Use your scissors to freehand cut a strip of brown patterned paper, about 2 ¼ inches long. Round one end and make the other end pointed. This is the body of your butterfly.
- Glue the teardrop pieces to the white cardstock, pointy side to the middle. Glue the body over top of the wings.
- Use the fine-tip marker to draw curly antennae.
- Stamp, write or print off “Sending you butterfly kisses on Valentine’s Day!” on the pink cardstock. Cut out and glue to the white cardstock on an angle.
- Chose white cardstock with a bit of fleck pattern to it—it’s more interesting than plain white cardstock.
- Keep an eye out for different sources of paper and cardstock. For example, the patterned paper of the butterfly is actually from a magazine ad (printed on a card like a magazine subscription card) that shows the new tweed patterns of a widely available pair of canvas tennis shoes.
- Thinner cardstock (which is also less expensive) tends to work better in home printers. Look for it at office supply stores.
- To give the feeling of a fluttering butterfly, choose a font that has the letters following a wave pattern, rather than a straight line.
Quick switch This card could easily be made into a birthday card by simply changing the message. Have fun experimenting with different paper colors too.
Please share this news with your friends and family!
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.